Bleacher Report, which does a fantastic job churning out vast of amounts of sports content which may or may not actually be accurate, has pub their odds for the winner of the Home Run Derby. They pick Chris Davis, and why would you not pick Chris Davis, but the write-up about Harper makes the case that he has the raw power to win. It also points out his performance as a prep baseball player hitting a 500 foot home run in the Trop, that launched him into legend status.
Michael Cuddyer (National League) 100-1
Yoenis Cespedes (American League) 30-1
David Wright (National League) 25-1
Prince Fielder (American League) 20-1
Carlos Gonzalez (National League) 15-1
Robinson Cano (American League) 12-1
Bryce Harper (National League) 10-1
Chris Davis (American League) 5-1
2013 Home Run Total: 13
Number of Previous Home Run Derby Appearances: None
Best Finish: First-time participant
Career Home Runs At Citi Field: Three (33 AB)
Blessed with as much raw power as any player in the game, Washington’s Bryce Harper has the best chance on the National League squad to walk away with the Home Run Derby title.
While this is Harper’s debut in the MLB Home Run Derby, it’s not the first time he’s participated in such an event, doing so at Tropicana Field in 2009 while still in high school. And what a show he put on, including this 502-foot blast, one that would have cleared multiple stadiums around the league.
If you weren’t planning on watching this year’s Home Run Derby, Harper’s inclusion is reason enough to tune in. He is capable of putting on a tremendous show, one that rivals Josh Hamilton’s performance in the 2008 Home Run Derby at Yankee Stadium.
- Harper is in the Home Run Derby: What about the curse? We are doomed! (halfstreetheartattack.com)
- Bryce Harper, Chris Davis highlight 2013 Home Run Derby (washingtonpost.com)
- Home Run Derby 2013: Bryce Harper, Chris Davis picked for annual derby (wjla.com)
- Cespedes added to AL Home Run Derby team (mlb.mlb.com)
- Baseball in New York – SelectATicket.com Lists Baseball among the Hottest Tickets in Town This Summer (prweb.com)