The objection to the Nats resigning Mike Rizzo are almost comical. They tend to fall in a few categories:
1. The only thing he did was draft Strasburg and Harper. As if baseball were the NBA or NFL where picking a superstar like Lebron or a fanchise QB is all it takes to be significantly better than the league. The list of #1 draft picks in baseball that flame out is bigger than the ones that succeed. Maybe both players were fool proof. Maybe the Nats org development program just made it look easy.
2. They are having a bad season now, last year was a fluke. By all means hold the teams 98 win season against him? All you can say about the team this year is that 13 was not their only year, they are poised to be very good for a while.
3. I don’t like one decision he made, so he is an idiot. OK, whatever.
- Did Nationals GM Rizzo Create Curse for Franchise? (bergonsports.wordpress.com)
- Dan Haren and John Lannan Debated: Did Mike Rizzo Make a Mistake? (halfstreetheartattack.com)
- Nats Extend Rizzo Long-Term, Name Him ‘President of Baseball Operations & GM’ (washington.cbslocal.com)